A fun and informative list of things you probably didn't know about Kauai, the garden isle.
General: DIY / How-To
General: Kid Friendly
Kauai, also known as the Garden Isle, is full of fun and interesting factoids and other tidbits of information. Read this article and you'll soon be an expert on the ins and outs of Kauai, Hawaii.
- It's called the Garden Isle because it's so lush and green all over the island.
- It's the most isolated inhabited land mass in the entire world.
- The wettest spot on earth, Mt. Wai'ale'ale, is located here. It's 3000 feet high and gets over 430 inches of rain annually. And that's how waterfalls are created!
- Kauai has one of the smallest populations of the major Hawaiian islands with around 68,000 people.
- The island covers an area of 552 square miles, which is around 1,430 square kilometers.
- So while it's small in size, it's actually the 21st largest island in the USA.
- Kauai has two official languages: English and Hawaiian.
- It's the oldest island of the main Hawaiian islands and said to be over six million years old.
- The official color is purple.
- The official flower is the Mokihana which comes from a native tree called Pelea Anisata. The Mokihana flower is the official lei material for Kauai.
- A whopping 70% of the island is not accessible by foot, making air tours the best way to see the hidden beauty.
- It's home to all sorts of movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Tropic Thunder, and TV shows like Fantasty Island, Bay Watch, and many others. Read more about Popular Movies & TV Shows Filmed In Hawaii.
- With over 100 miles of shoreline and around 50 of those that are sandy, Kauai is filled with beaches.
- The island is the largest coffee plantation in the USA.
- They also grow more taro (used to make Poi) than any other island.
- Kauai's Wailua River is the only navigable river in the entire state.
- 97% of the land is used for agriculture ad conservation.
- This island is home to the Menehune.
- No buidlings taller than a coconut tree (around 4 stories) can be built on the island. Supposedly, after the Kauai Surf hotel (which today is the Kauai Marriott Resort), this law was created.
- The time zone here is Hawaii Standard Time (HST) which is -10 GMT and Daylight Savings Time is not supported here (because DST is pointless in modern times and Hawaii understand that).
- The weather here is excellent year round with an average daytime temperature around 85 F and average night time lows around 75 F.
- The capital city is Lihue, which is where Lihue Airport (LIH) is located.
Ready to see all of the amazing beaches, hotels, activities and restaurants that Kauai has to offer? Then head on over to our Kauai home page.
Disclaimer: We're not affiliated, authorized, associated, endorsed by, or officially connected with the company or entities listed here, or any of their subsidiaries or affiliates. All trademarks cited, listed, or shown here are the property of their respective owners. We are not responsible for errors, omissions, safety issues
, or inaccurate information. This site is for entertainment purposes only and is not an official guide. Attempting anything you see here is done so at your own risk and we are not responsible for your safety, loss of life, legal or medical fees, or damages because of anything you see or read on this site.